Monday, July 22, 2013

Shopping Therapy




Do you love shopping? Are you one of those who are thrilled whenever the word shopping is mentioned? Do you find comfort every time you shop? If you are, then we are on the same boat. It is called shopping therapy or retail therapy. 


Such behavior developed a long time ago when my brother and I fought over who get to use the laptop first. As the older one, I let him have it. I really don't understand why I should but being the obedient child I always give in to his demands with a heavy heart. And every time I do, my mom and I would often go out shopping in the three store mall complex which is located just at 30 Mall Drive West in New Jersey, the Newport Center Mall. She would give me money and let me buy what I want as some sort of a consolation. But for me it was not just a consolation, it was power. Since then, Newport Center Mall serves as a Disneyland to me. The mere sight of the decorative light poles installed along the parkways going to the mall complex gives me a certain kind of high. 


Shopping therapy never bothered me at first but recently I received by credit card statements showing that I used 80% of my credit credit limit in all five of them. In spite of my addiction to shopping I always make sure that my financial obligations come first. It does not matter if I eat bread the whole month just as long as I pay all my bills first. But it mattered to my parents so I decided to seek advice from the experts and I was told that what I am going through is called Oniomania or Sushma Syndrome. The behavior is similar to alcoholism and drug abuse. According to my doctor, a patient of Oniomania may buy without shopping and/or shop without buying. Other than the prescribed medicine and cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy, it really takes a herculean effort not to shop. But with the support of those who are around me, I know I can pull it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment